Ohiou.org web page update
· To incorporate all the features as discussed to the website (forum, board page, expanded events functionality, advertising), Amanda recommends that we explore new platforms.
o The current platform won’t allow the level of social media integration, calendar, and forums. Additionally, it requires a site builder download so it is difficult to make quick changes to website content.
o However, we can add a separate Board page and a page for advertising. While researching a new website, we can make these two changes. If you have website platform suggestions, please feel free to reach out to Amanda (Amanda.email@example.com).
· Game watches:
o Football bowl game watch: some attendance, but happened the week of Christmas.
o January basketball game watch
o Sock drive/February basketball game watch: collected 111 pairs of socks for donation to ThriveDC.
· Wizards/Knicks game, meet with Maurice N’Dour: event sold out (20 tickets) and had the opportunity to meeting with Maurice. Should look into similar events next year and opportunities to work with the Ebony Bobcat Network, who held a similar event.
· Wreaths Across America: derailed by bad weather this year, but will participate again next year.
· Washington Policy Forum 2017: had middling turnout, but was held near President’s Day weekend. Good panel and a number of board members represented at the event.
· 2nd Annual Charles Hart Middle School college fair: college fair directed toward 5th-8th graders and OU sent materials to hand out. Unsure of whether events like these fall within the purview of the alumni group (more appropriate for admissions).
· Singing Men of Ohio: great event and opportunity to build a larger networking event of it in the future (little lead up this year).
Upcoming events/calendar planning
· Volleyball team: season in progress!
· Softball team: 12th year for the alumni team. The fees per player have not yet been determined and we will send information as soon as it is available.
· DC Area Admitted Students Reception (April 2): this event brings together any students who have been admitted to OU in the DC metro area. So far, 13 students (and 38 people total) have registered. The Chapter will provide light refreshments for attendees and area alumni are encouraged to attend and mingle with students and families.
· Wesley Lowery book: he participated in DC Networking week last year. Amanda will contact Wes and look into developing a book reading/signing at a DC area book store.
· Air & Space Museum tour: John has been working with our contact to find a date that works. The events should be geared as a family event and we are looking at early May. More information to come.
· Newseum/Pete Souza: Shara will follow up with OU contact and Nicole for next steps.
· Nationals vs. Reds (June 23-25): The annual Chapter baseball game will be June 24th at 4:05PM. There will be a pre-game gathering at a location near the stadium. More information to come! Tickets are $10 each and can be purchased here.
· Golf outing (June 10): Rob Walter is leading this event and has gathered 5 raffle and prize donations. If you know of any sponsors or raffle items, please let Rob know.
· Volunteer at soup kitchen: Karen has been looking into volunteer options for the chapter including soup kitchen volunteering, backpack drives, and Bread for the City. OAA may have shirts for us for volunteering efforts.
· Bowling: This has been offered as an option but can be pricey. Two potential places are Lucky Strike at Gallery Place and Bowl for America near Edsall Rd in Alexandria.
· National Cathedral tour: Rick has a contact at the cathedral so we could plan a tour with a meet-up before or after.
· Baltimore area events: Justin is leading efforts to ramp-up involvement by Baltimore alumni. He will look into a Happy Hour and Networking event to kick it off (Cocktails and Conversations or Dessert and Discussion were offered as themes, depending on the venue).
· Other potential ideas: National Zoo meet up (family focused), Potomac Boat Tour, Capitol Hill Pub Crawl.
If you are interested in taking the lead or helping with any of these events, please reach out to John (DCChapterPrez@yahoo.com).
Next Meeting: June 12-4th. Please complete the survey to note your preferred date.